I have been debating writing a post like this for a while, but a little voice has always been in the back of my mind erring me to not; would anyone really care to know random facts about me?
Well somehow I convinced myself that actually yes, yes they do.
One promise I made for my blog this year was to make my posts more personal. And what could be more personal than this? Probably nothing. The best thing about blogging is the community. I want to get to know you and engage with you and for you to know a smidge about me back.
I say a smidge… Having decided to sit down and write a list about me, before I knew it the facts were pouring out of my ears. Was it ten facts you were after? Twenty? Well, here’s a list of fifty.
1. I am left handed.
2. I can’t ride a bike. My ex tried to teach me once when we went to Centre Parcs, but several crashes into bushes later and almost colliding with a small child I decided there was something about me and wheels which just don’t work together.
3. Probably not surprisingly, I also can’t drive a car (I’m actually mostly useless).
4. I did ballet since the age of two up until coming to university and miss it hugely.
5. I have a weird obsession with buying underwear. Whenever I go clothes shopping it won’t be a successful trip unless I’ve come back with a pretty new matching pair. Does that make me weird? Probably. There’s just something so pretty and irresistible about the little lacy bras in Topshop which means I have to buy, like, them all.
6. I have two middle names: Elizabeth Rose.
7. I can name all of the United States of America in alphabetical order and know two songs for remembering them (I had a slight obsession when I was younger with memorising random, often pointless facts). Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut… Shall I go on? No?
8. In fact, a lot of the things I know are by song. The only reason I know how to calculate the circumference of a circle, greetings in German and the circulation of blood through the heart are all due to songs.
9. I was a vegetarian for three years and genuinely loved it, but then a big greasy burger van called my name and what can I say? The burger was worth it, okay? I actually ended up having two. In a row. (Still worth it.)
10. Like most girls, I love Disney and have looked into becoming a Disney Princess before, but honestly it sounds impossible. I’m nowhere near that level of perfection.
11. I also love glitter.
12. And alcohol. I definitely drink too much (I’m blaming my cheerleading socials), but what would uni be without crazy nights out and stupid memories? All of my stocking fillers this year were appropriately themed; hangover ‘cures’, salted caramel vodka (definitely a must try!) and a t-shirt reading “Hannah’s hangover face“. At least my Mum has learnt to love me the way I am. Cheers to that!
13. I have an official qualification (ooooh, fancy) and coach the University of Leeds cheerleading Pom Team. These girls are amazing and I love them with my whole heart.
14. I’m also on two other cheerleading teams; the Match Team and the Celtic Eagles.
15. When I was younger I was a huge Harry Potter geek (and still secretly am). I would take all seven of the books on holiday with me and lay by the pool and read and read and read and by the end of the week I’d have read them all. I did this about five years in a row. Told you: geek.
16. I love drawing and am actually quite good at it.
17. I also love tattoos (guys with tattoos are a whole new level of love, someone hand me a fan) and have drawn myself a butterfly tattoo that I want in memory of my Nan, though I don’t actually have any tattoos yet. Yet.
18. I do have several piercings; my ears, conch, tongue and belly button. I also used to have my nose pierced, but I lost the stud to the Tasman Sea on my first day in Australia. The waves there are fierce.
19. I’m going back to Australia this summer for the year to study at the University of Western Australia in Perth. Are you rolling your eyes? Did I mention this before? Can you tell I’m slightly excited?
20. My lucky number is 13. If I make it my lucky number then it can’t be unlucky, right?
21. Cheese is my weakness.
22. I have never been to any type of festival, though really badly want to.
23. If I could have any super power in the world it would be omnilingualism. No, I haven’t made this up. It’s the ability to speak, read, write and understand any language in the world. Think of the freedom of being able to travel anywhere and know there will be no communication barriers. More than spoken language, omnilingualism allows you to understand sign language and codes. I could have a top career as a code-cracker for the government. Imagine!
24. I eat basically everything and the only food I don’t like is liquorice (sambuca on the other hand…).
25. I am weirdly OCD about some things, mostly (bizarrely) colour related. All my uni notes have to be written in black pen. I feel uncomfortable if by the end of the day I have’t eaten at least something which is green. And if the wrapping paper doesn’t colour coordinate with the birthday card I’ve bought you all hell breaks loose. But that would never happen; I would never ever ever buy wrapping paper which doesn’t match the card. It should be a crime. *Shivers.*
26. I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason and we will all end up exactly where we are supposed to, but how we get there is up to us.
27. My birthday is in December making me a Sagittarius.
28. Oddly, I have a tiny birthmark on my right hand in the shape of an arrow (I’m Sagittarius, they’re the archer, I have an arrow birthmark…). Slightly too far fetched? I still think its odd. My Mum would argue coincidence.
29. My favourite animals are penguins and tigers and I could watch documentaries on them for hours.
30. My least favourite animals are slugs. And I don’t just not like slugs; I’m actually terrified of them (call me irrational). You know when it’s been all rainy and the slugs all emerge onto the pavement? I can’t leave the house. Or if I do, after ten minutes or so of tiptoeing around them and screaming every time I see one, I’ll probably have a breakdown. Shamefully, this has happened twice before. Yes, I’ve cried in the street because there were too many slugs. Shhh they’re scary!
31. I’m also scared of masks. Specifically the horrible cardboard cut-out celebrity face ones. I will cry. Yes, this has also happened before.
32. As surprising as it seems given the last two facts, one thing people always comment on is my smile. When I’m not crying in fear, everyone always says I look happy. In secondary school my friends mum nicknamed me Smiley because I forever had a grin on my face.
33. I also have a crazily loud laugh. Sometimes I even snort.
34. I can dislocate my left hip (blame the ballet).
35. I also have something wrong with my jaw which means it clicks when it opens and sometimes it gets stuck closed. Better closed than open, yes, but when in the middle of eating a big sandwich it is actually incredibly frustrating.
36. I fed a dolphin once and it was one of the most magical memories I have.
37. One of the best movies ever has to be Catch Me If You Can. Firstly, who doesn’t love a little bit of Leo? Secondly, the fact that it’s based on a true story blows my mind. Some people are so clever.
38. Enid Blyton’s The Faraway Tree will always have a special place in my heart.
39. Sometimes I think I’m psychic. I’ve actually even convinced my housemates on this one. Whenever I dream, a few days later my dream will actually happen in a round about way. Ha! Yeah right! I hear you say. Once I dreamt there was a fire in the hotel where I worked and my boss had to save me. The next day in work? I found out there had been a fire in the hotel that night and everyone had to evacuate. Imagine these ‘coincidences’ happening repeatedly. Now tell me I’m not a teeny tiny bit psychic?
40. I love magic, though not the impossible stuff; I love card tricks. I love figuring out how the trick works. It’s like a big puzzle to me that my brain loves to solve.
41. Yellow is, and has always been, my favourite colour.
42. I have a cat called Mittens who is the laziest (but cutest) cat I know.
43. When it’s autumn I still love jumping in big piles of leaves and listening to them them crunch under my feet. And when it’s snowing I love snowball fights. And when it’s rainy I love jumping in puddles. Basically, I’m still a very big kid at heart.
44. My biggest pet peave is when people walk slowly in front of me. Can. You. Not?
45. If I could do three things before I died (a mini bucket list perhaps?) it would be to travel the world, to skydive and to write a book.
46. Sometimes when I’m feeling sad and lonely, I look up at the moon and imagine all the other people in the world who can see the moon, and I wonder how many of those people are looking at the moon in that exact moment. It makes me feel less lonely. But maybe that’s just me.
47. I believe in multiple universes. If the universe is infinite then there’s infinite possibilities. If there’s infinite possibilities then somewhere in some other universe there is another solar system made exactly the same as ours with another you and another me. Actually, there would be infinite numbers of you and me. But I won’t bore you with that now.
48. My all time favourite song is A Change Is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke.
49. My favourite people in the world are my Mum, brother and sister. Family is everything.
50. The quote “I’d rather be someones shot of whiskey than everyone’s cup of tea” sums me up. I’m a little bit weird (in case these facts didn’t give that away already), but I wouldn’t have me any other way.
ENJOYED THIS POST? LIKE MY POST AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW TO LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS. BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY OTHER RELATED POSTS TOO BY CLICKING ON A RELATED CATEGORY.